When it comes to building a scalable company website, Ecommerce, or Personalization solution across multiple channels, the options can be a little overwhelming. Do you go with a Coupled CMS, Decoupled CMS, or Headless CMS? For many new to the market, you may even be left asking: what exactly is a Content Management System?
Traditionally, CMSs are used to publish text, multimedia, etc. (the content), and visual layout and code (the design). Take your basic Wordpress website as an example. They’re great for single channels like a desktop website, but any business hoping to offer their content to native mobile apps or third-party content users is going to be stuck.
But what if we told you there was an easier way to create fully customizable content that adapts seamlessly to all channels as your business grows?
For many businesses, the answer to this question lies in headless CMS, a cloud-based platform that handles all the boring (and expensive) back-end legwork so your business can focus on giving customers a smooth and consistent user experience across all devices. Headless CMSs like Agility are responsible for publishing content and media, while layout, UX and all front-end technology are squarely in the hands of your development team. They are free to build front-end content that’s completely flexible and expandable over time.
Unlike monolithic, or Coupled CMS, a truly headless CMS is built “pure” with API integration in mind. The CMS waits idly until your team’s custom-built APIs engage with it, rather than preparing content for presentation and then pushing it into the delivery environment. Think of headless CMSs as providing the foundation, while your developers focus on the brick and mortar of customized architecture for a limitless user experience.
The benefits of a headless CMS like Agility are endless, but here are just some for consideration:
- Omnichannel readiness: Headless CMSs allow your content to be integrated with any channel or device — your developers can build for mobile apps, smart watches, and even virtual reality, if you so choose. This option makes it possible to deliver your product anywhere and at any time through the customer journey.
- Low operating costs: For businesses relying on SaaS, headless CMSs saves time and money on installing and running cumbersome, monolith counterparts. By using a cloud model, you keep running costs low and your team focused on innovation.
- No troubleshooting required: Headless CMSs like Agility include carefully crafted content architecture designed to enable new integrations and technologies to be incorporated at any point in time. When hotfixes or patches are needed, the Headless CMS provider takes care of that for you.
- Flexibility: With headless CMS, developers can build any kind of front end they want in their preferred language (Ruby, PHP, Java, etc.) and then integrate the two using APIs. This way, your team can deliver content to multiple channels, and leverage the latest developments in language frameworks. You are literally the master of your own domain.
- Cloud Scalability: No heft maintenance fees required. With an intuitive and user-friendly interface like Agility, your content is hosted in the cloud, so your team can access and update it from anywhere. Scale as you see fit! All that’s required is an Internet connection.
CMSs like Agility are constantly growing, with new features and upgrades automatically updated for everyone on a regular basis. Headless CMS also lets you easily and seamlessly scale up to support needed during traffic fluctuations, so that your website is never down.
So now that you understand the huge advantages of headless CMSs — scalability, flexibility and customization — consider what you’re missing out on. Headless CMS may just be the solution you need to reach the next level of success.