Case Study: National Gallery of Canada
The National Gallery of Canada is the proud home of the world’s most comprehensive collection of Canadian art.
In 2012, the National Gallery of Canada (NGC) launched NGC Magazine in order to provide a frequently updated source of information about the Canadian art world and goings-on at the Gallery. The magazine is the only one of its kind as no other Canadian art gallery or museum offers a free online art magazine. The magazine offers exclusive interviews with artists, videos, photo galleries and much more.
The NGC chose Agility’s Publishing Package to launch their online magazine because it stood out for being a content management solution architected specifically for magazine websites.
The NGC set out to launch an online magazine in order to establish an authoritative Canadian portal for richly-produced online content about art. In addition to needing a content management solution built for magazine websites, the NGC team required a platform to accommodate non-technical users. The solution also needed to include bilingual capabilities as content would be consumed by both English and French readers.
Lastly, in order to become an authoritative portal, the NGC needed a website that would promote reader engagement and a community for Canadian art fans.
Approach/Process & Solution
The NGC implemented Agility’s Publishing Package, a prebuilt solution that is built on top of Agility CMS. The Publishing Package was architected specifically for magazine websites and editorial teams.
NGC has reported that Agility CMS is easy-to-use, and the NGC team was able to use the platform after training sessions with their project manager. The NGC team is able to easily publish articles, galleries and embed videos on their site. They also employ modules, like the Related Articles Module, to merchandise and cross promote content, and this has resulted in a healthy average of pages viewed per visit.
The platform includes built-in multi-language capabilities, and the NGC Magazine site can easily be switched between French and English. The site is responsive and adapts to all screen sizes from desktops, tablets and phones in order to always provide readers with a user-friendly experience that is easy to navigate.
NGC Magazine also provides tools that make it easy for readers to engage with content and promote a sense of community among Canadian art fans. The site includes social sharing buttons and modules that display NGC's social feeds. The site also includes commenting on all articles so that readers can share their opinions and participate in discussions.
Since launching, NGC Magazine has watched its traffic grow and its online community spring to life. Page views are in the hundreds of thousands, and readers are viewing an average of 2.87 pages per visit.
"Agility CMS has provided us with the tools to create an engaging online presence and an easy way to push out content to Canada's community of art fans," Colin Chen, NGC's webmaster, said. "The platform is very easy-to-use, and the Agility Team is a pleasure to work with."
The Agility CMS-powered site has been recognized by the Canadian Online Publishing Awards, an event that celebrates the very best in online content created by Canadian publishers, corporations and marketers. NGC Magazine won in the Best Corporate Website category.
Visit the site: ngcmagazine.ca
Benefits of Agility CMS for publishers:
- A turnkey solution tailored for editorial content and teams to help you get your new website up and running quickly (Read more about the Publishing Package)
- Easily manage and publish articles, blog posts, documents, PDFs, images in any file format and third party scripts like YouTube video embeds and more
- Sites are search engine optimized and are quickly indexed by Google and other search engines
- Easily manage ads on your site by integrating with your preferred ad server like Google’s DoubleClick for Publishers
- Add an iOS app that automatically pulls content from your Agility instance for a mobile optimized experience
- Widgets like the Popular Articles and Featured Content modules promote higher page views per reader by merchandising content on your site
- Social sharing buttons, powered by ShareThis, are customizable and make it easy for your readers to promote your content within their own networks to drive viral views
- The Image Gallery module makes it easy to display albums of photos and images
- Users can comment anonymously, with their site login, their Facebook or Twitter ID
- Ratings provide a one-click feedback mechanism for your readers
- See all of the features that Agility CMS provides here